Sunday, November 28, 2010

Oh, the Places You'll Go!


Miles has been wearing little shoes for awhile now and I think they are so precious. When I am putting them on sometimes I find myself reciting from one of my favorite book by Dr. Seuss. I tell him "Miles Alexander, You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." He does seem to be full of his own intentions lately, and is often heading off in his own direction.

I must remember that although I can steer him along the path, this is his journey through the world. It seems fitting that this rhyme comes to mind. The book by Dr. Seuss was given to me upon my graduation from high school. I can only imagine what my parents felt like as they REALLY sent me out into the world to make decisions of my own. I hope when the time comes for Miles (I do not hyperventilate :-) and remember to share this book with him...

Congratulations! Today is your day.
You're off to great places! You're off on your way!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

You'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care.
About some you will say, "I don't choose to go there."
With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
you're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.

And you may not find any you'll want to go down.
In that case, of course, you'll head straight out of town.
It's opener there in the wide open air.
Out there things can happen and frequently do
to people as brainy and footsy as you.

And when things start to happen, don't worry.
Don't stew. Just go right along. You'll start happening too.
OH! THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!

Until that time comes I will enjoying sharing the road with him and try to make sure he can enjoy the view from the car seat!

No comments:

Post a Comment